Yes we'll walk with a walk that is measured and slow, And we'll go where the chalk-white arrows go. For the children, they mark, and the children they know the place where the sidewalk ends.

-Shel Silverstein

Thursday, August 20, 2009

CONNOR JAMES

Six years ago this week we found out that the baby boy we were expecting had passed away. He was born on August 19th. We named him Connor James and buried his little body on Grandma and Grandpa McAllister's farm and planted a tree. We always try to do something together as a family on Connor's birthday. This year we went for a family hike.

Cameron kept blurting out to passersby on the trail, "We're celebrating my dead brother's birthday!"
We read a sign that there was poison oak in the forest, so not to leave the trail. Cameron was so concerned that he told Ewan to hold his hand so that he could protect him from it. So sweet.
Six years...three more babies...and now the tree we planted is about thirty feet tall. What I learned from being Connor's mom for that short, short time is that being a mom is the best, most holy thing I can do with my life. I learned that God has a plan for our family and I can trust in that plan...even when it's hard. I was never the same after the summer of 2003. We miss you Connor.

7 comments:

vicki said...

So wonderful for you all to remember him together. Creating a sweet memory from a sad one. Lovely tradition.

The Guyser Family said...

What a sweet post! You have such a wonderful family and I'm so glad you can remember Connor together. We are getting ready to celebrate Xavier's first birthday in a few weeks. xoxo

Sara and Spencer said...

Tear. You are such a wonderful mother, Rebecca. Someone I truly aspire to be like as a mother someday. How sweet to make wonderful memories with your beautiful babies to remember Connor. Love you!

Cheryl said...

What a great idea - a family walk in memory of Baby Connor was a perfect activity to get everyone involved. The pictures are great!
Thanks for all you do to create special events for your family.
Love,
Grandma & Grandpa Mac

Shawn and Tasha said...

Rebecca, I just love you and your sweet family. I love your traditions and all around attitude. You truly inspire me.

Mike and Jen said...

Hi! I just found your blog and love all your cute family pictures. I am disappointed I won't get to watch your family each Sunday anymore. You have such a classy style of motherhood.

Meilani said...

It is so fun to catch up on your family! Anne is growing so quickly. She really does look like you when you were little. I love this post! What a great and healthy tradition on such an important day. Sending lots of love from Utah. =)

Meilani